School Library Journal Book Picks: Friendship
Friendship makes the world go around! We all have family, but friends are the families we choose, the people who are in our life because they met us, got to know us, and loved us for who we are! A really good friend helps us be better versions of ourselves, and we help them be better, too! A friend can make a rainy day fun, or a sad moment a bit easier. And friends are like gardens — you have to tend to friendship to help it grow. Take care of your friends.
This list of books that highlight friendship was curated by Kimberly Olson Fakih, Senior Editor, Picture Books at School Library Journal.
Hello, Friend, Hola, Amigo!
- Where are you from?
- What language(s) do you speak?
- What does the word friend/amigo mean to you?
- Do you have any friends who are different from you?
- What do you play or chat about with your friends?
What if, Pig?
- What are some words you would use to describe YOUR friends?
- How do Mouse and Pig's other friends describe him?
- What is Pig afraid of in the story?
- Have you ever been worried about a friend? Why?
- What happens in the story?
- What do you think we can learn from "What if, Pig?"
Friendbots: Blink and Block Make a Wish
- This book is a graphic novel/comic. What do you notice about the way the story is told that makes it a graphic novel/comic? What do you think about this style?
- Describe Blink and Block.
- Do you have any good friends like the robots in the story?
- What do the friends wish for? Why?
- What do the friends discover?
Vamos! Let’s Go to the Market
- Do you have any pets like Lobo's pet Bernabé?
- What is special about Bernabé?
- What happens on the adventure? What do Lobo and Bernabé see at the market?
- Did you learn any new words from this book? Let's go back and find them to make sure we know what they mean!
- Do you have any friends you like to go on adventures with?
Best Friend in the Whole World
- Roland lives a quiet life filled with books, music, and tea parties for one. What does he sometimes feel and why?
- What does Roland love about his friend Milton?
- Who is the ‘Best Friend in the Whole World’?
- Let's talk about what makes a good friend! How can YOU be a good friend to others?
Evelyn Del Rey Is Moving Away
- How do Daniela and Evelyn feel in the story?
- What can we learn from the story about moving and friendship?
- Have you ever had to move? How did it feel?
- Have you ever had a friend who moved away? How did it feel?
- What's similar and different from Daniela and Evelyn's neighborhood and your neighborhood?
School Library Journal is the premiere publication for librarians and information specialists who work with children and teens. A source of quality journalism and reviews for more than 60 years, SLJ produces award-winning features and news coverage on literacy, technology, education policy, and other issues of interest to the school library and greater educator community. SLJ evaluates a broad range of resources, from books and digital content to databases, in 6000-plus reviews published annually.