Let's Use Our Big Heart World Words!
When you practice vocabulary words with your child, you help them learn the words that they’ll need to express their big ideas. Here are some words you can practice related to identity and belonging.
- Belonging: be a member or part of a group or community
- Community: a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common
- Culture: the beliefs, way of life, art, and customs that are shared and accepted by people in a particular society or group
- Different: not like something or someone else, or not like before
- Ethnicity: the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition
- Family: people who are related to each other, especially a mother, a father, and their children
- Feelings: how you think about something; what you believe
- Heritage: something you inherited from your ancestors
- Identity: who I am, what makes me “me”
- Independent: able to do things by yourself
- Language: way of communicating with others by written or spoken words, used by the people of a certain country or area
- Respect: to think about the feelings of others
- Similar: alike, having qualities in common (you may be similar to someone else in some ways and different in others!)
- Unique: one of a kind, unlike anything else, unusually good and special