First Book: Books to Learn about Helping
Thank you to First Book for generously sharing its book recommendations with the Big Heart World community. Eligible teachers can follow the links to find discounted versions of the books on the First Book Marketplace. Parents and other caregivers can find the book at First Book’s Bookshop.org shop.
Change Sings: A Children's Anthem
- The author of the book, Amanda Gorman, said she wrote it because she believes every child has the ability to make a difference. What do YOU want to do to change the world for the better?
- Pick your five favorite rhymes in the book. What do you like about the rhyming words.
- The narrator says, "Change sings where? There! Inside me. Because I'm the change I want to see." What does that statement mean to you?
- There are musical instruments throughout the book. What's the significance of music and musical instruments in the story?
The One Day House
- Why does Wilson want to help Gigi?
- How does the community help Gigi?
- What impact does the community have when it comes together to help?
- What are some ways YOU could help a friend or other person you care about?
My Two Border Towns
- Who do the boy and his father help on the United States side of the border?
- Who do the boy and his father help on the Mexico side of the border?
- What are some similarities and differences you notice in the two border towns in the story?
- What surprised you about the story?
Dear Earth…From Your Friends in Room 5
- Describe what the children ask the Earth.
- What do the children learn FROM the Earth when she responds?
- What could YOU learn from nature if you could talk or correspond?
- How could YOU help protect the Earth?
Sharing a Smile
- What worries Sophie at the start of the story?
- Do you share Sophie's worries? What other worries do YOU Have?
- What does Sophie do to help?
- What is the impact of Sophie's help on her community?
- What lessons do you learn from the story?
Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational resources to programs and schools serving children from low-income communities in all 50 states and provinces in Canada. First Book currently reaches an average of 5 million children every year and supports more than a third of the estimated 1.3 million classrooms and programs serving children in need. First Book members work in classrooms, after school, and summer or early childhood programs, shelters and health clinics, libraries, community programs, military support programs, and other settings serving a majority of children in need.