First Book: Books to Learn about Global Citizenship
Thank you to First Book for generously sharing its book recommendations about Global Citizenship with the Big Heart World community. Eligible teachers can follow the links to find discounted versions of the books on the First Book Marketplace. Parents and other caregivers can find the book at First Book’s Bookshop.org shop.
We Move The World
- Everyone — from famous artists to pathbreaking scientists to presidents — started out as a baby! Why do you think some babies turn out to change the world?
- Who in the book is most interesting or inspiring to you? Why?
- Did anything in the book surprise you?
- How do you want to "move the world" in your lifetime?
Malala's Magic Pencil
- Describe Malala's magic pencil.
- What would you wish for with a magic pencil?
- What does Malala realize about her magic pencil?
- What BIG problems do you want to try to solve — with or without a magic pencil?
The Last Straw: Kids vs. Plastics
- What is good about plastic?
- What is harmful about plastic?
- What happens in the book?
- Did the story inspire you to do anything new or make any changes to your behavior or the world around you?
The Shape of Home
- The new teacher asks each child to imagine the shape of home on a map. Can you imagine "home" on a map? what does it look like?
- Where is the country your family is originally from on a map? What shape is it?
- What "shapes of things" remind you of home? Your pet? Your favorite food?
Rocket Says Clean Up!
- What does Rocket notice on the beach?
- What does she do to fix the problem?
- Who helps Rocket?
- What problems do you want to try to solve to make world a better place?
- Who will help you accomplish your goals?
Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational resources to programs and schools serving children from low-income communities in all 50 states and provinces in Canada. First Book currently reaches an average of 5 million children every year and supports more than a third of the estimated 1.3 million classrooms and programs serving children in need. First Book members work in classrooms, after school, and summer or early childhood programs, shelters and health clinics, libraries, community programs, military support programs, and other settings serving a majority of children in need.