First Book: Books to Learn About Upstanding
Thank you to First Book for generously sharing its book recommendations with the Big Heart World community. Eligible teachers can follow the links to find discounted versions of the books on the First Book Marketplace. Parents and other caregivers can find the book at First Book’s Bookshop.org shop.
Super Manny Stands Up
- What is upstanding?
- What does Manny SAY in the story to stand up for someone else?
- What happens after Manny speaks up?
- What can we learn from Super Manny?
- What is the "bad-something"?
- How does the "bad-something" make children feel?
- How does the school come together to move forward?
- Have you ever experienced something like what happens in the story? How did YOU feel?
- What would you do if someone wrote, said, or did something hurtful in YOUR community?
Right Now! Real Kids Speaking Up for Change
- Which child in the book inspired you the most? Why?
- What inspired the kids in the story to stand up for what they believe?
- What causes do YOU care about the most?
- Can you think of ways YOU could stand up for your beliefs like the kids in the book?
I Walk with Vanessa
- What is a bystander?
- What is an upstander?
- What happens in the story?
- What happens after someone stands up for Vanessa?
- What would you do if you noticed bullying happening at the playground or in school?
My Friend Maggie
- Who is Veronica, and what's her role in the story?
- How does the relationship between Paula and Maggie change during the story?
- Have you ever felt like Maggie? Paula? What happened? How did the problem get resolved?
- What lesson do you learn from the story?
- What are some ways WE can be good friends and stand up to bullies?
Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational resources to programs and schools serving children from low-income communities in all 50 states and provinces in Canada. First Book currently reaches an average of 5 million children every year and supports more than a third of the estimated 1.3 million classrooms and programs serving children in need. First Book members work in classrooms, after school, and summer or early childhood programs, shelters and health clinics, libraries, community programs, military support programs, and other settings serving a majority of children in need.