Read Love Books to Celebrate Love
Valentine’s Day is a celebration of one of the biggest feelings we have: LOVE! It’s about more than roses and chocolates, cards and conversation hearts. Read books selected by the team at Sparkler Learning with your little one to explore different kinds of love: love between mothers and children, love between siblings, love between friends.
Mama, Do You Love Me?
- What does the child say to her mother, and what does the mother say in return?
- What do you think the lesson of the story is?
- Recall a time when your child did something that left you feeling sorry, angry, or surprised. Remind him or her that you loved them even then!
- Have YOU ever felt sorry, angry, or surprised with something that YOU did? Let's talk about it.
Love Makes a Family
- Let's think of small acts of love in OUR family today: Making breakfast, helping to put on socks and shoes, kissing a bumped knee?
- Notice the illustrations as you read. Who are the members of each family? Do you know any families like the ones included in this book?
- Who is in YOUR family?
The Invisible String
- What is the invisible string?
- How do you know it's there?
- Who is YOUR invisible string connected to? Let's think about each person and "tug on" their string.
On Mother’s Lap
- What are some things that Michael loves? What are some things that YOU love?
- Notice Michael’s facial expressions throughout the story. How does he feel about Baby joining him on Mother’s lap? How does he feel when they are all rocking together?
- Have you ever felt like Michael?
The Runaway Bunny
- Why does the mother rabbit keep telling her baby she will come after him?
- Recall a time when you and your child were separated, like going to work and daycare/school or going to bed at night. How do you stay connected even when you are not together?
- Which is your favorite illustration in the story?
- How many people show love to baby Louise? Count them!
- How do the family members show their love?
- Is “oonga boonga” the trick to help baby Louise feel happy again? What else might be making her happy? Why?
City Dog, Country Frog
- How did City Dog and Country Frog become friends?
- At the start of their friendship, Country Frog tells City Dog that he is “waiting for a friend, but you’ll do.” What does he mean? Does City Dog surprise the Frog?
- What do the characters learn from each other?
- Has your child ever missed someone who he/she loves?
Frog and Toad are Friends
- What are some loving things that Frog and Toad do for each other?
- Do Frog or Toad ever feel grumpy, frustrated, or angry? Do they still love each other?
- Which is your favorite story about Frog and Toad? Does it remind you of a story that happened in YOUR life with your friend?
Sparkler Learning is a non-profit organization that helps parents and caregivers and the organizations that serve get children off to a strong start. Sparkler is presenting Big Heart World in partnership with Noggin and with generous support from the Walton Family Foundation.